There are some new Youth Basketball Guidelines just recently announced. This is great news. Make sure you read about Youth Basketball on our site right here.
The NBA and USA Basketball have partnered to develop guidelines designed to promote a positive and healthy youth basketball experience.
The new guidelines will focuse on health and wellness of the young athlete, including the concept of “Player Segmentation”. Sports Specialization is also discussed and this writer is a big proponent of not specializing in sports too early. See my other website www.youthinfitness.com for more details.
Their recommendation is to delay early sports specialization until at least age 14.
The 8 Youth Basketball Guidelines summary recommendations:
1. Promote personal engagement in youth basketball and other sports.
2. Youth sports should include both organized and informal, peer-led activities.
3. Youth should participate in a variety of sports.
4. Delay single-sport specialization in the sport of basketball until age 14 or older.
5. Ensure rest from organized basketball at least one day per week, and extended time away from organized basketball each year.
6. Limit high-density scheduling based on age-appropriate guidelines.
7. Further evaluation of basketball-specific neuromuscular injury prevention training program is warranted.
8. Parents and coaches should be educated regarding concepts of sport readiness and injury prevention.
I have to say this is a great thing and it is about time. It is hoped that the other major sports organizations will follow suit and adapt and promote these Youth Sports Guidelines.
Basketball is such a great sport and we don’t need to train kids like mini adults or mini professionals. Trust me. They need to have fun. They’ll work hard bud it can’t be boring for them. Keep them moving and running and they’ll be fine. Let them actually scrimmage and PLAY basketball.
We’d love to hear your comments below so please share your opinion. What have your experiences been while Coaching Youth Basketball? What do you think of these new Youth Basketball Guidelines?
Very helpfull guide for noob.
This is a great resource I also believe that basketball is great for teaching kids discipline and self-improvement. I write over at on self-improvement and basketball-http://basketballninja.com/basketball-court-self-improvement/
Leep up the good work! :-)
Am 6:8ft tall 15 years old from south sudan living in Kenya and looking for basketball sponsorship in USA